Read this blog and much more at its new home, KevinMoyers.com!

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Collateral Damage

Punishment is a rough thing to deal with. It's not fun for me, and it's not fun for Casey, but it is a necessity. I handle it fine, but I prefer to not have to deal with it. I'd rather have a nice incident free day with her than have to find ways to lay down the law. I'm never too harsh, but I will raise my voice. Her mom will spank her, but I really don't have a use for that. My tone is all I need.

This is all fine and good, but now things get taken away when the attitude rears its ugly head. I will freely admit that my daughter can be an asshole, but it's genetic, so it isn't completely her fault. I don't mind taking away some things, like treats. So, she doesn't get ice cream today. No big deal. Maybe she doesn't get to watch a DVD. I can live with that, too. That means I get to watch something I want. Now we're at the point when I have to take away events, and sometimes it's something I want to do. That sucks.



Yesterday, I was going to take Casey to see the new Muppet movie. We watch the old TV show together, and I've loved that stuff since I was a kid. It's a perfect fit for us. The promise was that she had to be good Tuesday night and Monday until her nap. After that, we were headed straight to the theater. Guess who screwed that up five minutes before her nap?

There was spitting, crying, yelling and a huge tantrum. She had a shot early on to apologize, but she blew it. The tantrum started again after her nap was over. It was a blast. So, no Muppets. That's what I told her. She dealt with it, but she wasn't happy. We had a talk that ended with a hug, and all was fairly right with the world, except for one thing.

I didn't get to see the Muppets.

That's the suck part of this. As she gets older, the stuff we want to do is more fun. I'm fine with not giving her candy or not watching the same movie for the fiftieth time, but this was terrible. I didn't get to do something I wanted to do, but she messed it all up. I guess that's just part of this whole thing. It's never easy to be the bad guy. Suddenly I understand the old saying that this will hurt me more than it does you. It did this time. I missed out on my movie, but I also missed out on an experience. I wish she understood that. Maybe one day she will.

No comments:

Post a Comment